Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Monday, October 10, 2011

Puzzles Are the Best

It was t-minus 5 hours from leaving the airport and what do I crave to do?  A 500 piece puzzle.  Accompanied by Lamars Doughnut Holes, a Caribou Latte, and some brave souls we took on a candy puzzle.

I have never had a more perfect idea.

The last week leading up to leaving for the Peace Corps is insane (in the membrane)!  You don't sleep, you run your packing list through your head over and over, you create 18 lists, and you find yourself incredibly nostalgic and sentimental.  Not to mention the goodbyes.  Those are just overwhelming.  You know those emotion magnets where you select a emotion face for the day?  Yep, I'm ALL of them for several days, even smug.  It is such a whirlwind that finally sitting in your airplane chair is the most comforting thing possible.  Well, that and puzzles.

Doing a puzzle for my last few hours in Kansas City was, I repeat, the best idea ever.  It completely took my mind off of all the crazy shenanigans.  Not only was my mind occupied by finding the border pieces and putting together the eye on the rock candy canister, but I was surrounded by friends and family, eating comfort food, and laughing.  Especially when we were looking for the final piece and Brett pulled it out of his pocket, thief.

To top it all off, we finished the puzzle and were able to celebrate with pizza and a Chiefs come from behind win.

Let me be clear.  I usually HATE puzzles.  My mind doesn't work that way, and I get too frustrated to finish them.  Now for the gushy metaphor.  Finishing that puzzle was not only therapeutic, but reflective of the next two years.  My last hours in Kansas I had to practice patience, communication, determination, and goal setting.  All skills I hope to gain, mature, and improve in Tanzania.  Furthermore, with the support of those around me, I was able to do that.  Of course I'm every emotion you could feel about leaving for Tanzania.  Yet I am fairly confident that I have all I need to do my best, and the support to back it up.

In the end, puzzles aren't so bad.  They're actually the best.


With Lori, Brett, Cara, Katie and Marc

1 comment:

  1. I look like could hide a 700,000 piece puzzle down my pants. SERIOUSLY. Huge sweat pants. Made you smile? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete