Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Paris of East Africa

This was my 25th birthday....through the eyes of Nora Gavin-Smyth:


I am writing to you from sunny Dodoma, what some call "the Paris of
East Africa."  I am in Dodoma town for the weekend to celebrate my
dear friend's birthday today.  We celebrated by going to Club 84, the
club that you see when you close your eyes and imagine the best
African dance club in existence.  The floor is a grid of lights that
pulses and flashes different colors.  They play the bongo flava
(Tanzanian pop music that I love), they play the Rihanna, they play the
Drake, they play the Aqua (?).  They don't play "So Call Me Maybe."
The prostitutes are so nice, when I run into them in the bathroom
they tell me I look pretty.  The men, they like to dance kiduku (knees
in, feet out, kiduku kiduku kiduku kiduuukuuu).  They aren't glommers
who attach themselves to your butt, but they'll dance with you in a
way that is very pleasant. Karibu Dodoma, I'll take you to Club 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment