Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Thursday, December 22, 2011

16 Shooting Stars and Counting....

For shadow I headed to Mbeya town for a week where I followed PCV Maren around at work and play.  The 15 hour bus ride there included diverse climate change-from tropical, to National Park, to desert, to mountains, to pine forests, to COLD!  When our group finally arrived I soon realized I would finally be breaking out my long pants and sweaters in Tanzania. 

During the week I got a FANCY meal at an American ex-pats house and even went to kick-boxing class at a German ex-pats house.  The others shadowing in Mbeya region came into town and we went to the disco one night and danced to reggae music and ate chipsi mayai.  The next day some of us climbed the ‘mountain’ outside Maren’s house which was straight UP the entire way.  We rested a bit until we were rudely interrupted by a cow who decided we were sitting exactly where he wanted to pee.
 With Maren, Anna, Montana Andrew and Jambo Jon on the hike.



After Mbeya I traveled to Dar with Maren to meet with ITECH staff (the NGO I’ll be working with over the next 2 years).  The staff is fantastic and I discovered I will be traveling into Dar for one week every 3 months for meetings and collaborations.  This means that 2 months of my service will be spent on the coast! 
The ITECH ladies: Me, Maren, Merrit, and Raychel


City living is SO different from village life.  The slightest taste of reverse culture shock, even after only being here for a few weeks, was really overwhelming.  I have really grown used to the simplicity of village life. Most days I brush my teeth outside because the stars are incredible and the moon is bright enough to serve as 20 street lights.   It is comforting to be part of a community, to go to bed at 8 because there is no electricity to keep you awake, and to walk everywhere without complaint because the scenery is utterly gorgeous. 


*If you want to see what my pre-service training has been like, check out the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZX3Mh4dwC4&context=C447dbafADvjVQa1PpcFOFM3GVNniN-_OX69NtYBarO3sGDUApyp8=

1 comment:

  1. Ellen...thanks so much for your post....so heart felt. I am almost there with you if I close my eyes. You are living the life that you were meant to live by answering this call. I am so proud of you and can't wait to be with you there in June....we just might stay!
    Have a very blessed Christmas and know that I love you. Mary

    ReplyDelete