Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Peace Corps Jackpot

*Climbed a coconut tree
*Built a permagarden and hand washing station with primary school kids
*Gone to a tribal wedding
*Eaten fresh coconut, jackfruit, goat, and fish that I swear was watching me eat it alive
*Declared ‘I prefer the choo over a western toilet.’  It’s true.
*Told many jokes in Kiswahili….and people laugh at them
*Go by another name-Asha
*Have gotten the wiggly finger, usually when my hair is wrapped up and braided
*Speak and write Kiswahili at intermediate-high level
*Gone to bed at 8 at night....almost every night
*Kayaked in the Indian Ocean.
*Got two Malaria parasites
*Seen multiple shooting stars
*Talked more about my bowel movements with new friends than EVER before
*Made ‘American dinner’ for our host families which consisted of a tub of popcorn, 7 kilos of rice, tons of veggies, and 150 chapati with peanut butter and ndizi
*Rocked my chaco tan line like it’s my job
*Been asked by the man who does the call to prayer to take his wife on my morning jogs
*Seen flies in my water and ants in my food and ate/drank it anyway.  More protein.
*Cooked ugali, wale, chapati, mandazi, fried ndizi, maharage, mchiche
*Made a fox tail out of a kanga and water bottle
*Weighed babies at the zyhanati
*Seen zebras, lions, monkeys, elephants, giraffes, antelope, water buffaloes, and several cockroaches
*Had an impromptu guitar/singing concert for the villagers
*Had a wheel barrow race against village kids
*Fallen completely in love with Tanzania

Me and Zoudea at Jeff's (Jafari/Jirani) homestay 


 Two of my neighbor kids (watoto).


The shamba in full force.  Where we run every morning.

5 comments:

  1. Hi thanks for sharing this post i really like it..i want more information about Volunteer Tanzania and safari in Tanzania so please share more and more post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wiggly finger is definitely "she's crazy" thing around the ear. If not, then I have no idea. Aren't shooting stars awesome? I saw them every five minutes on the island. Can't say I've ever weighed a baby though... I like blog posts. Keeping going. Ooh and pretty pretty pictures! those are neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you!! Sounds like you're doing great things already. Way to go, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete