Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Thursday, March 1, 2012

29 Days of February

What's the word, bird.

I'm officially settled into site and preparing for our upcoming IST (In-service training...aka 2 weeks of ridiculous reunion shenanigans in Morogoro that appropriately occur during two PCV birthdays, St. Patty's Day, and March Madness).  I've been spending the last few weeks helping to teach nutrition to PLWHIVA at the CTC, and I taught a few classes for the HIV/AIDS course at the nursing school.  Now I'm looking into ways to help the mental health inpatient facility at the hospital, finding primary/secondary schools to do small projects with, searching for partnerships with an orphanage, in the beginning stages of planning a boys and girls conference, and trying to figure out a steady Kiswahili study schedule.  All of my work has been self-directed as I've had limited assignments with my NGO, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that more work comes my way or I'm allowed to branch out with other projects in the city/region.

Olly is huge and has completely left his Tanzanian stray ways in the Dodoma dust becoming a full fledge American cat.


I have yet to have many days alone in my new home as I have several visitors in the form of PCVs coming through Dodoma for travel or to do banking.  Fortunately, our PCV family in Dodoma region gets along remarkably well.

I've become a spicy lentil, mango bread, peanut butter pancake, guacamole making machine.

I got my hair cut by PCV Nora, then proceeded to cut some more myself a week later...it's slowly getting shorter and shorter.



I have 4 dresses at the fundi getting made for me...I may be becoming obsessed with Tanzanian fashion.

I'm constantly described as 'charming,' both in good and bad situations.  It's my new favorite word.

I have a Tanzanian bff/twin (pacha) named Nonga, who is tall and charming as well.  She and I dance and sing 90s rap songs every day, and she loves skyping Brett because 'his voice is so romantic.'

I traveled to Dar to see a doctor after I fell and couldn't move my arm back in January.  After getting bed bugs at the hostel and seeing the Indian Ocean, I discovered I sprained 4 tendons and I'm officially allowed back to the basketball court this week.

I have successfully taught the neighbor kids a step...video to come.

The class I'm teaching had an average test score of 40% (the norm here), and after a few sessions and exam the average doubled to 80%!

Birthday celebrations in the Peace Corps are INSANE as Club 84, Dodoma poolside, piggy back race, Kinyogi Tangawezi, singing at chipsi stands, and American dance parties have proved.  I'm so excited that my birthday falls one week before the sikukuu nane nane (8/8).


I may or may not have sent a text to every Peace Corps Volunteer in our class (41) and more, wishing them a Happy Leap Day and giving them a Leap Day Challenge specific to the individual.  (i.e. Teach your villagers the macarena, play red rover, or carry some Kimasai bros piggy back)

I promise my posts will get better-and pictures/videos will be uploaded.

I've officially become Tanzanian with my 'pole pole' pumzika attitude towards the above statement.

1 comment:

  1. We are ready to be with you Ellen! Can't wait to see you in June...so very very proud of you and your amazing faith and desire to bring the best out in all you know! Love you ....your other Mama Mary

    ReplyDelete