Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Magic That is Tanzania


So I’ve been in Tanzania for over 140 days.

In my head this tally is best described as a daily creep and weekly fly by.

Now that I’ve been at site for longer than training home stay the reality of being here for 2 years really jumps out at you.

Before I came to Tanzania I got a really solid piece of advice…’don’t have any expectations.’  Of course that’s difficult to do, as most volunteers will tell you they spend a significant amount of time reading blogs, researching their country, making lists, and imagining exactly what their service will look like leading up to boarding that plane.  I tried my best to come to Tanzania with a ‘hamna shida’ or ‘no problem’ attitude.  So far, it’s been my magic ticket, my top secret ingredient to a successful training and ending every journal entry with ‘I love this country.’

Then you get to site, alone.

Then you stare at a wall.

Then you get really frustrated that some rando laughed at you for the 534958 time because you said something wrong in Kiswahili.

Then you crave butterfingers.

Then you remember why everyone said this isn’t the easiest thing in the world.

Then you start cursing because you can’t fully express yourself in Kiswahili like you can in English.

Yes, the above has happened to me, especially the butterfingers one. 
A few days ago I had a particularly frustrating day that had been building up for a week.  The NGO I’m working with has given me little to no work in the last month, and I’ve been stuck trying to determine a balance between self-directed work, personal project goals, and my assignment.  I didn’t understand why I had this NGO position and felt my soul being sucked away by the secretarial assignments.  It got to a point where I had to leave the hospital and go for a walk.  (Cue magical music)

There was no major event, no words, and no sign that put my mind back to ‘hamnashidaIloveTanzania’ land.  I can’t even tell you exactly what I did other than walk around downtown surrounded by hundreds of locals and mangos before heading home.  But when I got home I was right back where I’ve always been-thoroughly enjoying this experience.

That is what is so great about Tanzania.  Right when I get even the slightest bit close to a ‘bad day’ or even a ‘bad moment,’ in some wonderfully unknown way, the people, the environment, the culture, show me exactly what is so incredible about this place.  I fall in love all over. 

Maybe not having expectations or a carefree attitude has gotten me this far with only good days.  But it will be this country, the people, and my every day experiences that will carry me through my next 2 years of great days

No comments:

Post a Comment