Purpose:

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us."
-Sargent Shriver


Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mellen Reunited



Mellen in Moshi, Tanzania

Ok, so I made it all the way to Moshi, Tanzania from Houston, TX. I have been threatened to write for Ellen’s blog or else! I’m scared.

I had wanted to go to Tanzania since I met someone from there in Rome. When I found out Ellen was heading there, I knew it was the opportunity of a lifetime. When else should I visit Tanzania than when Ellen is there? O yes, the adventures of Mellen continue, although in a much warmer climate than Europe.

So I pack up and head to Tanzania. I was expecting a very houstonesque climate and was shocked to find myself “cold” when I arrived at 8:30 at night. We had an amazing safari experience with lions walking right under our truck, and baboons climbing and throwing things at our truck.  About 100 elephants in one place alone, including a 2 month baby elephant playing in the water. Zebras and wildebeest chasing away a hyena to protect their babies. Lionesses staring down two cheetahs and scaring away hyenas. Rhinos and hippos and buffalos and ostriches and monkeys and dik-diks, and pumbas and so many birds. O what a trip!

(Top) Tarangire National Park
(Below) Ngorgoro Crater
O and the food. Our guide Edgar questioned my dietary choices every meal we had together. “So you don’t eat meat?” no.  “What about chicken?” no. “What about fish?” no. “Would you eat buffalo?” ummm, no. “You could never be a Maasai.” But the fruit, goodness and deliciousness and so fresh. The mango or pineapple or passion fruit juice every morning. It was a nice reminder of home in Colombia; you definitely can’t get that in the US.  And after getting adventurous and trying some different Indian food, I have now been eating quite a bit of Indian dishes in the US. Who would have thought?  I ate more food in Tanzania than normal, but Ellen insisted I tried all kinds of awesome food which names I have now forgotten.  *(Ugali and maharage: a ball of flour and beans)

I was very grateful we splurged and had a room with a bathroom that had not only a flushing western toilet, but hot water showers. I really like toilets. The choo… how do you know you are aiming right? How do make sure it doesn’t get on your clothes and shoes? Ellen’s answer… beginners luck. At one point in one of those porcelain choos in one of the parks (read … lots of tourists) it was wet. All around. Good thing I was good at gymnastics as a teenager and child. You really have to get creative and be rather flexible to not only aim properly, but avoid everyone else’s ummm mess getting on your clothes, etc. Yes, I really like toilets.
At the Hot Springs just outside Moshi

We had the opportunity to go an orphanage and play with all these happy kiddos. They are so adorable, I seriously wanted to bring one home with me. It was such a fun time and I was extremely glad to see how well they were being educated and how well fed and treated they were. I have been trying to do something for them since I got back. Although it was very difficult to pick one kid to sponsor, that we decided to ask which one had the least amount of sponsors and just go with that one. One professor at my university is also helping me out to get more donations headed that way. It is the least I can do.  (Orphanage Website: www.treasuresofafrica.org, Children's Home)

But most importantly, it was so amazing to be able to spend all this time with Ellen. We laughed, we explored, we made fools of ourselves, we swam, we shopped, we talked about politics and religion and life in Tanzania.  Over lots of cups of coffee we caught up on everything that has happened since we were in England.   It was fantastic to share this amazing experience with her, be able to see the life she is living, and be able to appreciate and understand so much more the hard work and dedication she has been giving to better the life of all these people. Ellen is seriously a hero and a role model and I cannot wait until our mini Leicester reunion Vancouver 2014!

-Meli Avila

________________________________________________________________________________________
***Just in case you missed Brett's writing....here is Part II

We all wait anxiously for Ellen (AKA ASHA, AKA MANKA, AKA TWIGA) to return home! I am grateful for the trip, the lifetime’s worth of inside jokes, and the anticipation of many future travels!             
I will end this blog with my top ten countdown. A list of my favorite sights and sounds from the trip (listing them from ten to one).
                  10.  Jayhawk basketball fans in Tanzania. Seeing a Tanzanian wearing a Jayhawks jersey during a pick-up game of basketball was a welcomed surprise.  Since he had the power of Rock Chalk Nation on his back, he was of course the best player on the court.  And, he had no clue who the Jayhawks were.  It didn’t matter.  Jayhawks rockin’ over here, Jayhawks rockin’ over there, Jayhawks rockin’ everywhere.
At St. Johns Uni Basketball Court.  This boy is also in Ellen's youth group.
                 
9.  Going through the market in Dodoma. We bartered in the Dodoma market, and Ellen helped translate. I tried out a few lines in Swahili; the Tanzanian’s looked in shock and thought it was hilarious.  
                 
8.  Seeing lions try to hunt down wildebeest. For the most part, the animals on safari were inactive. We saw the occasional battle between male gazelle’s (which was awesome as well). My adrenaline was pumping most when I saw a group of lioness try to attack wildebeest!   
                 
7.  Lodging. From the beginning of our stay in the Arusha Lodge to the place on Mafia Island, we had great accommodations. My favorite place was outside the Ngorongoro Crater.  Again, Google the Explorean Lodge, it is hard to describe how amazing it truly was! Ellen’s place was all right… Just kidding.  Despite the geckos on her wall, having to take a bucket bath, and her flea-covered cat, I liked staying at her place as well. I wish I could have had a few more days to stay there!
The Explorean Lodge
                 
6.  New Year’s Eve party. Celebrating and dancing with the Masaai to bring in the New Year has been my most memorable New Year’s ever.
                 
5.  Swimming with Whale Sharks. I survived!
                 
4.  Ellen as tour guide. I know that she was probably drained from having to explain and re-explain everything about her daily routine to us, but it was nice to see briefly what she does in Tanzania. She was also patient, for the most part, in teaching us Swahili and more about the Tanzanian culture.
                 
3.  Game time. Every night playing games with Mark, Mary, and Ellen provided lots of laughter and entertainment. The “Would You Rather Game” will go down in infamy.
                 
2. Inside jokes. Too many to list, but I was laughing the entire trip.  And finally,
                 
1.  Beach time. I enjoyed being lazy on the beach—some of the best beaches in the world. Being 19 before I left Kansas on a plane, I can say I haven’t seen many of the beaches in the world in person. But, the beaches we stayed at have to compare to the best in the world. They have to. If not, point me to those beaches, and I would like to go there…

   

1 comment:

  1. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter. it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers.
    2 months baby

    ReplyDelete